Saturday, November 19, 2005

Kellogg Interview: Engineer to Engineer

So yesterday morning I woke up and prepared myself for my Kellogg interview. My outfit had unleashed an entire debate - skirt or pants? I remember when I interviewed for Microsoft. They had explicitly sent me an e-mail saying not to even bother wearing business casual. Of course, I still showed up in a suit...

I settled on a black suit for Kellogg - with pants.

I arrived 30 minutes early at the alumni's company. Sat in my car and just reaffirmed the points I wanted to get across. Then I proceeded inside where I chatted w/ my interviewer for 1 hour in a meeting room.

We started w/ why the MBA and why Kellogg. He had definitely read my resume beforehand, and proceeded to go down my resume one point at a time. "What did you do on this project? Who was involved? How did you deal with guy X?" Being a younger applicant compared to his 7 years of engineering experience prior to Kellogg, I think he also wanted to reinforce my tech knowledge and asked, "What specific engineering skill did guy X bring to the project that you didn't have?" I actually expected this since we had similar backgrounds and his current position is what I want to do post-MBA. :-)

Some other interesting q's:
- How did you carry the University of Washington brand through college and beyond? Tie this in with how you'd do the same at Kellogg.
- You seem to have a lot going for you now. Why do you want to give it all up?
- What other schools are you applying to? What would you do if you didn't get into any of these schools? Would you give up?

He also primarily focused on:
- Teamwork experience and how I deal with different types of people.
- The Kellogg alumni network. My interviewer was a Kellogg graduate of '02.
- What I would gain from Kellogg and what Kellogg would gain from me.

When I asked for feedback, he flat-out said, "Sorry, but I'm not allowed to give that information. Kellogg has a strict policy that this is a blind interview, and I was explicitly told not to give any feedback. I'm supposed to not care about your GMAT, gpa, or anything you put on the rest of your app. My role is to give Kellogg a candid view." Turns out he use to sit on the Students Admission Committee so he was strict in upholding Kellogg's rules.

I can only hope for the best now.

8 Comments:

Blogger laserlikefocus said...

I interviewed on campus and didn't ask for or get any feedback. Was a bit worried about what it meant since some people on the interview database seemed to have received feedback. Good to hear they have a 'strict policy'.

Hope you hear good news from Kellogg soon :)

November 20, 2005 7:16 AM  
Blogger Anand said...

seem s like your alumni interview was lot tougher than mine. My interviewer was very considerate. Anyways you seem to have done well. Best of luck. You can read the gist of my interview on my blog. Take care.

November 20, 2005 8:12 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

This is a great post and I am sure will be of help to me in a week! Sounds like your interview went really smooth - good luck with the rest of them!!!

p.s. I went with a brown skirt suit for my Anderson interview

November 20, 2005 8:52 PM  
Blogger Paa"ji" said...

Good Luck :)

November 22, 2005 9:21 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

You shuold definitely reward yourself!!! Make a trip to H&M.Just be sure it's during an off time because so far that place is a mad house. I went shopping yesterday...ended up getting the Hanae Mori fragrance - it is SOOOOOO great smelling.

November 22, 2005 9:24 AM  
Blogger Anuj said...

Best of luck for your MBA Journey

November 22, 2005 11:27 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

nice summary. any chance of adding this to the admissions wiki ?

January 26, 2006 3:06 AM  
Anonymous qualitative research analysis said...

There will further more guides for the students towards which they must have to look for and this will surely help them to initiate their abilities.

August 23, 2016 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home