Tuesday, February 28, 2006

4 P's - People, Personalities, Projects, Positions

Had my Cornell interview bright and early this morning.

Sitting down at a Starbucks table, the alum gave me the drill: "Here's how it works. I have a list of questions to ask you. I will write your answers as we go. At the end you can ask me questions. I send this all back to Cornell, and they'll compile all your information together. If there are 'holes' in your application, they may call you to clarify some information. Sound good?"

On you mark. Get set. Go!

1) How did you select your current/previous job(s)?
2) Why do you want an MBA?
3) Why Cornell?
4) What are your long-term and short-term goals?
5) What other schools are you applying to?
6) How would your co-workers describe you?

Me: "I'm approachable..."
Her: "That's because you're female. I work in the tech sector too. Give me another one."

7) What are three characteristics that make a great leader?
8) What drives you? What makes you get up in the morning each day?
9) Tell me a team situation where someone was hard to deal with.
10) Tell me a team situation where you faced an obstacle.
11) Tell me a time when you directly had a conflict with another team member.
12) What will you add to Johnson?
13) Name three characteristics that you will bring to your Cornell classmates.
14) Tell me about a significant accomplishment and what impact you created.
15) What are the strengths and weaknesses of your Johnson application?

To my weakness answer: "That's a weakness that can be turned into an advantage or positive. Give me another one."

16) How do you approach a problem?
17) What is an innovative solution you came up with for a problem you dealt with?

Her feedback: "I think you communicate well and have the right social skills. Your weakness is that you've only had one full-time employer. All companies are different. If Cornell calls you, try to think of more examples where you've worked with Vice President's and such to help broaden your experiences." I thanked her, and we parted ways.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your interviewer sounds like an ass!

February 28, 2006 3:18 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

That is so crazy and cool at the same time! She didn't tell you any of this during the interview?

Where do you usually go out in SJ? I should come down one weekend!

I bet Shanghai will be a blast! Are you visiting people or just going on an adventure?

February 28, 2006 3:20 PM  
Blogger sorebrek said...

That sounds like a stress interview - but it looks like you did well. But then again, even a Park scholarship may not persuade you to go to Cornell considering all the other impressive choices that you will have waiting for you in a month's time.

On your Jell-O comment: My name is Jell-O and I will plan your wedding. And I promise I won't knock flower vases over with my behind (in case you didn't get it, that was an excerpt from the preview of 'Date Movie') ;-)

February 28, 2006 3:34 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

sounds like a tough interview, but sometimes the feedback from the tough interviews can be very positive!

February 28, 2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger SgHama said...

Actually I think that was pretty cool (since you don't really need this one anyway)!

February 28, 2006 4:33 PM  
Blogger Forrest Gump said...

nicely done. you held your own, and that's what will get you another admit that you will just trash in the bin.

February 28, 2006 7:08 PM  
Blogger BigAppleNosh said...

Ooh, she sounded pretty tough. But it looks like you are becoming an interviewing pro. =o)

February 28, 2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger FooBarMe said...

seemed like a tough interview..but dont worry..Stanford is waiting for you...

February 28, 2006 9:41 PM  
Blogger Anuj said...

Wow that was a long list of questions and a tough one too :)
By the end of this you sure wuld be an interview expert and we can get some great tips from you :)

March 01, 2006 12:38 AM  
Blogger brownoski said...

I forgot what the world was like before google. If the only weakness in your application is that you've only had one employer, you should remind Cornell about the cartoon voice job.

March 01, 2006 1:34 AM  
Blogger laserlikefocus said...

That must have been some interview. Was she really that blunt? I found the one about 'approachable' real funny :)

Have a great trip to Shanghai.

March 01, 2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger Anuj said...

By the time I get in a position to give some tips on interview process you would be one year down your MBA Journey :)
Thx for offering to share the tips though :)

March 01, 2006 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count yourself fortunate. By asking you to change your answers she was assisting you. She wanted to make sure she put down the strongest possible answers for you.

March 02, 2006 7:07 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

I have never gone to Mt View to go out! We'll have to plan an outing.

I just booked my flight for the Open House and now I am all giddy :)

March 02, 2006 11:18 AM  
Anonymous marketing personal statement said...

The necessary ideas are putting more of the focus among the students and hopefully they would learn more of the regarded piece ideas which are even said to be of utmost importance.

August 23, 2016 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home